Grain Brain Math

Grain Brain Math
By Team Perlmutter
Category: Brain Health

I’ve seen many question come in from athletes who find it difficult to thrive on the 60 grams of carbs/day that the Grain Brain diet suggests. These individuals feel they aren’t able to perform at an optimal level, and have asked if it would be possible to stretch the upper bound of allowable carbohydrate intake to accommodate for their active lifestyle. I’d like to address this question, and similar ones, in this post, so that all may benefit from the answer.

Simply put: it’s not unreasonable to increase the intake if you lead an active lifestyle. Pushing your daily allowance to 90 or 100 grams of carbs/day is certainly acceptable. However, these 90 grams should be part of a balanced diet that takes in 60-70% of its calories from fat, with the remaining 20-30% coming from protein, and 10-20% from carbs. If you’re trying to figure out how many grams of protein that comes out to, you’re looking at 0.8 – 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.

Related Topics

Grain Brain  Protein  Lifestyle  Carbs  

Share This


Dr. Perlmutter is one of the leading lights in medicine today, illuminating the path for solving chronic illness

Mark Hyman, MD